People who have creaking shoes while walking always attract the attention of others. A harsh sound is unpleasant to the ear and is annoying. Walking with such “musical accompaniment” is another test. Many who are faced with a problem are trying to solve it somehow. In some cases, the squeak is really eliminated. We bring to your attention 8 effective ways to deal with creaking.
We establish the reason
Creaking shoes are a very common problem. There are several reasons for the appearance of a terrible sound:
- Poor quality shoes. Most often, creaking is the result of poor-quality tailoring and the use of cheap materials. To do with such a pair is practically impossible. The best solution would be to return it to the store if the warranty has not yet expired. As a rule, sellers go forward. Extraneous sounds from shoes when walking are a good reason to refuse a purchase.
- The appearance of defects and cracks. Over time, the sole and upper of any shoe wears out. When cracks appear, additional friction occurs, which may be accompanied by a creak.
- Tight sole firmware. If the shoes or shoes began to creak immediately after the firmware, the reason is hidden in too much thread tension. When walking, the sole is compressed and unclenched, and the thread gives resistance. Therefore, a crack is heard.
- Drying material of shoes. Long-stored shoes tend to dry out and crack. The material becomes coarser and begins to creak.
- The problem with arch support. Shaky arch support not only makes nasty sounds, but can also cause leg injuries.
- Poor heel. Cheap material heels, as well as the sole itself, always creaks, if you step on a smooth surface – a laminate, slippery tiles. On the asphalt, as a rule, in such shoes you can walk without problems.
- Decorative elements. Laces, locks, fasteners, rivets can “ride” when walking and make various sounds.
- Patent shoes. A slippery and smooth surface makes contact and creak when in contact with something. This is a property of the material. Therefore, when buying patent leather shoes, you should always be prepared for sound. It will not be present only if the skin is very soft and does not come in contact with the sole, laces or other decorative elements when walking.
- Tough insole. If hard material is directly adjacent to the sole on the inside, friction will occur when walking. It is necessary to raise the insole and see if there is a soft layer under it.
Determining the cause of the creak of shoes is very important. The nature of further actions will depend on this. To figure out what’s wrong with your shoes or shoes, try bending them slightly near your ear, simulating walking. So you will understand exactly where the sound comes from.
Eliminate the creak
There are many ways to deal with creaking shoes. Some are ideal for the sole, others for the heel, and others for the upper material and fasteners. There is no universal recipe for all cases.
- Method number 1. Fat
Used to soften shoes. For example, in the army, tarpaulin boots were lubricated with pork grease to eliminate creaking and repel moisture. Any fat is suitable – badger, goose, etc. It is applied in a thick layer to the sole, places of bends and seams at night, and then washed off.
- Method number 2. Oil
Coconut, olive, sunflower, petroleum jelly and other oils also perfectly soften the material of the shoe. They treat smooth skin, varnish for 8 hours, and then wash off with soapy water and leave to dry.
- Method number 3. Water
You can get rid of a nasty sound by moisturizing your shoes. It is better not to fill it completely with water, but use slightly damp rags for wrapping.
A fluid is a solution of oils. It is used to lubricate anything – locks, hinges, soles of shoes. Before using the WD-40, it is recommended that the test be performed in an inconspicuous place.
- Method number 5. Insole change
A rigid insole is changed to rag or felt.
- Method number 6. Drying oil
A few drops of hot drying oil drip onto the sole and rub well. After that, she stops creaking.
- Method number 7. Heat
Sometimes getting rid of a creak helps heat the shoes with a hairdryer. From exposure to heat, it softens.
- Method number 8. Shoe repair
In some cases, only the shoemaker can solve the problem – re-flash the sole, repair the instep support, change the heel pad. If the shoes are expensive or for some other reason you are dear, it is worth trying to repair it.
Before repairing your shoes, wash them thoroughly and dry them. Otherwise, dirt and dust will stick to it tightly.
Creaks the sole
The sole most creaks in shoes. The problem may be hiding in poor-quality firmware, the material itself. Sometimes the sound appears due to cracks.
How to remove the creak of the sole?
- Soak the sole with heated oil.
- Lubricate it with fat or WD-40 and leave it for 8 hours.
- Put your shoes on a damp cloth overnight.
- Turn on the hair dryer and direct a stream of hot air to the sole. Warm it for 10 minutes. Then bend your hands well in different directions.
Try the above methods one at a time. One of them will definitely help.
To prevent the sole from creaking while walking on the tile and the laminate, stick a band-aid on it. It will reduce friction.
The creaking heel is not always able to be repaired at home. If he staggers, only repair will help. You can stick a band-aid on a low-quality heel, but it is better to change it.
You can get rid of the squeak on your own only if the material is roughened, the seams in the area of the heel are deformed. Do the following:
- Wrap the heels with a damp cloth and leave overnight.
- Treat the junction of the heel and the heel with oil, grease or WD-40, and then heat with a hairdryer (5 minutes). After 10 hours, wipe it with a cloth and try to walk around.
Anything can creak in boots: a sole, an arch support, too rough skin, metal rings in which laces are threaded, an insole.
To eliminate the creak, use the following methods:
- Mix 3 teaspoons of pork fat and 1 teaspoon of wax. Melt in a water bath. Apply to places that creak for 8 hours. Wipe the shoes.
- Heat the creaking spots with a hairdryer (7–10 minutes). Remember the shoes with your hands and try to walk around.
- Wet an old terry towel, wring it so that it is slightly damp, and wrap boots in it for 10 hours.
Most often, this problem is observed in patent leather shoes. To squeak, try the following options:
- Heat the shoes with a hairdryer and remember carefully. Immediately shoe them and walk, without taking off, 1 hour.
- Spread the place where the sole is attached to the top with vegetable oil. Leave it on for 8 hours and then wipe it off.
- Leave the creaking shoes to “sleep” on a wet rag. In the next day they will not make unpleasant sounds.
If the shoes creak only on a bare foot, use beige tracks, stockings or tights.
In sandals, most often the creak comes from metal fittings. Clasps, buckles rub against the material when walking, which is why a characteristic sound arises. To get rid of it, do the following:
- Lubricate the buckles and the mounting location with Vaseline.
- Give your shoe a half day rest.
- Remove Vaseline residues with a damp cloth.
You can also try loosening the clasp. Sometimes this is enough to make sandals stop creaking.
So, there are many ways to deal with shoe creaking. Sometimes folk methods help instantly and forever. But more often they give only a temporary effect. Experts advise not to buy creaking shoes or shoes in the hope that they are carried. Most often this does not happen. We heard an extraneous sound – immediately take the pair back until the warranty period is out.